Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Simple Winter Sport Sudoku


Our family is psyched for the Winter Olympics. To familiarize our oldest son with some of the sports being played there, I made a simple hands-on Winter Sport Sudoku game with the following represented:
Ski Jump
Bobsled
Figure Skating
Curling

I printed one set of the game pieces with checked backgrounds and three sets of the solid background game pieces. I laminated them for durability.

Click the picture to download a free 2-page PDF from Google Drive with these game pieces.



Next I cut a large square piece of thick felt and added a grid out of washi tape (wider tape for the center cross and thinner tape for the other lines).

Now I took the four pieces with checked backgrounds and arranged them on the board. I handed my son the solid-colored pieces. I explained that the pieces I placed on the game board could not be moved. The solid-colored pieces in his hand could be rearranged as much as he liked.

The objective was to have only one of each sport represented in each row, column, and quadrant. No sport should be represented twice.

It took a little manipulating, but my son got it and, boy oh boy, was he excited.


I think he's ready for a more challenging board with nine different kinds of game pieces instead of just four. It looks like I have some more game pieces to make!

3 comments:

  1. How fun! I can't believe Olympics is so close. I guess it's time for us to get excited as well. I just keep wondering where Sochi is going to get snow :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm the Editorial Assistant for Fun Family Crafts and I wanted to let you know that we have featured your game! You can see it here:

    http://funfamilycrafts.com/winter-olympics-sudoku-game/

    Thanks for another fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is very cool! Pinned to my winter board.

    ReplyDelete